3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to the new set of challenges for March 2011!

Here are a few tips about navigating the blog and getting the most out of the challenges.

• Every weekend, here in Australia, I will be posting a new set of activities for the week. Complete as many of the activities as you want.
  • To find the post with the activities, look on the right sidebar under ‘Latest challenge posts’.
  • If you want to be emailed as soon as I post a challenge, then fill in your email address in the right sidebar above the clustrmap then hit the subscribe button.
  • If you have a Google Reader or Netvibes etc, then subscribe by RSS – top of right sidebar.
  • If your teacher wants to join our mailing list to receive a newsletter every month or so, then have your teacher fill in the mailing list on the left sidebar.
  • To find the students taking part in the challenge, look in the header and click on ‘Students – March 2011’
  • If you are participating as a class and want to find other classes to link up with, check in the header for ‘Classes – March 2011’
  • If you are a teacher/educator commenter and want to link your class with some classes of the students you are commenting with, please contact me and I will give you their teacher names to allow skype etc. Often though, students will have their class blog listed in their blogroll on their sidebar.
  • If you want me to visit your blog post, you need to leave me a comment on my post or include a link from my post on your post. Here is a page to show you how to create a link in your post .
  • Most of the instructions in the challenge are given for Edublog users, but there is a link for Blogspot users in the ‘Get Help’ section on the right sidebar.

OK, time for the activities now.

Students:

The first week of activities involves lots of things which I hope you have already done to your blog. Just go down the page like a checklist and tick off as you get the activities completed.

Activities in purple are for beginner bloggers, those in green, suggestions for more advanced bloggers. Anything in blue and underlined is a link to another blog or post. Remember to right mouse click, open in a new tab when clicking on a link.

1. Are you on the list?

Some students filled out the wrong registration form and joined as a class. Please check the page in the header labelled ‘Students – March 2011’. Find your age group – check very carefully if your name is on there. If it isn’t then click on this link to fill in the correct registration form.

If you find your name on the list, you will probably find the name of a teacher in the same colour as you. This teacher or educator is going to visit your blog over the next ten weeks and leave some comments on your posts. Try to create conversations with these people – most of them have their own blog as well. Find out about them by visiting the post linked here and check out the comment they left.

Some students don’t yet have a commenter allocated. This will happen in the next few weeks.

avatarbigIf you are on the list, you will probably have received a ‘Welcome to the challenge’ comment from Miss W or tasteach. I usually leave these comments on ‘About’ pages or a post you have written about yourself. If you have not received a comment from me yet, please leave a comment below on this post and include the URL of your blog so I can come and visit you.

2. Changed your theme.

All Edublogs blogs begin with the same theme. There are over 100 different themes to choose from. Some have one sidebar, some have two sidebars, some allow you to change the headers. But you need to decide which theme suits you best. Check out this post about themes To change your theme, go to your dashboard > appearance > themes.

You might like to write a post about why you chose that particular theme. How difficult was it to choose? What were you looking for in a theme?

If you have been blogging for a while, is it time for a blog makeover? Have a look at some of the newer themes that are now available and update the look of your blog. Write a post explaining the changes. Perhaps a ‘before’ and ‘after’ shot of your blog.

If you use Kidblogs  you don’t have a choice of themes, but you could write a post about what you would like to have in a theme.

3. Written your ‘about’ page.

Remember pages stay in the one place and are located in your header or in the ‘Pages’ widget. What you will be writing normally are posts and they will gradually disappear off the bottom of the major column on your blog.  If using blogspot, you have an ‘About’ area in your profile, those using Kidblogs will need to write a post about themselves instead. Check out the example ‘About’ pages below:

About pages – students I have found when leaving welcome comments

Be creative but internet savvy when writing your about page. Those students from Mr Puchinsky’s music class might like to re-write the lyrics of a song or nursery rhyme and tell about yourself in the new lyrics. If you are a singer, why not use Audacity or Vocaroo to record your song about yourself and embed it in your about page in your blog.

If you have already written an about page last year, you might need to update it for this year. Things will have changed. If you know of a great example of an ‘About’ page, please leave a comment on this post.

Make sure you have added the ‘Pages’ widget to your sidebar. Dashboard> appearance> widgets> drag ‘pages’ across.

4. Write a post about why students and classes should visit your blog.

Why is your blog going to be interesting? What will you be posting about? What could they learn from reading your blog? Make sure you hyperlink back to this challenge post  somewhere in your post. That way, I will get a trackback or pingback and I will be able to visit your blog to read your post, otherwise I won’t know if you have written anything about this challenge.

eg. This post is for Challenge 1 in the March 2011 challenge. Highlight ‘Challenge 1′  then use the Link icon  – chains joined – and copy and paste in the URL below

Who are you? Challenge 1-March 2011

This is one of the most important skills to know when blogging – how to make a link – if unsure check out this post for Edublogs or this post for blogspot.

If you have been blogging for a while, write a post highlighting some posts you have written that you would recommend new bloggers read. Remember to give an explanation why – what will they learn from reading that post? Make sure you link to the posts you are recommending so your readers can actually visit them.

5. Visit the student list then leave a comment here …

Check out the page called ‘Students – March 2011’ and visit ten blogs  where students have similar interests to you and leave a comment on their blog. Then come back here and leave a comment mentioning a blog you found really interesting – remember to tell me the student’s first name, country and blog URL so I can then go and visit them as well.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Classes

Each week you will need to have visited the blog of the class on either side of your name on the ‘Classes – March 2011’ page. This will make sure each class gets visited by at least two other classes. Remember to check out any student blogs that are on the class sidebars.

Then choose some other classes from the list that you would like to visit – students of similar age perhaps.  Add links to these classes on your blogroll to make it easier for your students to visit them.

If you are a teacher commenter you might also like to add the classes or student blogs you are visiting to your blogroll.

1. On your class blog, write a post about why students and classes should visit your blog. What will they learn from reading your posts? Are there any skills your class has that they could pass on to other classes and students? Perhaps highlight and link to some great posts your class has already written that newer blogging classes would find useful or interesting.

2. Make sure your class about page is updated.

Check out these below. Each page is so different. What do you and your students think should be included in a class ‘About’ page?

Check out at least ten other class blogs from the list. Write a post in your blog about the similarities and differences you found while reading their ‘About’ pages. Remember to include links back to those class blogs.

3. Introduce the world to your classroom or school.

Create an animoto with images of your classroom or school taken by your students. This might be included as a post or on your about page. Make sure you join the free education version where both you and your students can create longer length animotos.

4. Visit your buddy classes (those on the side of your class on the ‘Classes – March 2011’ page.) Introduce yourself and get a conversation started.

Have pairs of  students in your class visit a different class blog and check it out. What did they like about it? What caught their eye? Did they find an interesting post?

Now on your class blog, write a post about visiting other class blogs. Highlight those things your students found interesting and add links back to the blogs they visited.

Next week we look at avatars – fun, fun, fun

188 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Pingback: sean loves tortoises

2. hi im a girl im 12 almost going to be 13 and i like pruple and dogs

3. im a boy i have 12 years old

4. Pingback: 2/24 Do Now! « Kreiling's Thoughts Blog

5. Pingback: Video Tour of MBS | Looking Glass

6. Pingback: My avatar | Unknown

7. Pingback: My links to all the challenges. | Megans blog

8. Pingback: I am a Student Blogger Challenger | ashleylives2love's Blog

9. Pingback: My gallery of avatars… | Unknown

10. Pingback: Blogging Challenge | The Food Critic

11. Pingback: Hello | Christina's Crazy Blog

12. I visited a lot of blogs, but my favorite one so far that I visit everyday, but don’t always comment on is Carolina O’s blog.
    Her URL is…
    http://carolinaosblog.weebly.com/

She has a lot of interesting material on her blog and if you really want to visit a fun and exciting blog, go to Carolina’s blog.

13. Pingback: Edublog Challenges 1-4 | Mrs. Martinez's Class Blog

14. Pingback: Welcome to My Blog | The Mystery

• i realy like noahs blog

15. Pingback: My Community | ~*Brittany's awesome blog*~

16. challenge 1 hi miss w please get into my blog maiteblog.weebly.com this is the url

17. Pingback: Blogging | .Don't.Forget.To.Smile.

18. Pingback: Welcome! | Andrew's blog

19. Pingback: Today Is My Day | .Don't.Forget.To.Smile.

20. I think most of the kids on the about page list, they all are better then me. I’m just a normal guy at blogs. I’m not really good at them.

21. Hi Ms.W. I really enjoyed reading Noah’s blog, at lakernolewine17.edublogs.org. His blog was well written, with detail, and creativity. He is from the U.S.A. I loved all his posts and I can’t wait for him to write more.

22. Pingback: Justin’s Blog! | Big Boy J's Blog

23. Pingback: Welcome to my blog! | Jason's blog

24. Pingback: Hello, Everybody! | Tubman P's Blog

25. Pingback: Hello! | Meghan's Blog

26. Pingback: Welcome to Jaci’s Blog!! | The Girls Room

27. Done! Gah~! My PC crashed for a while, and then when I finally managed to get it working, it had two viruses on it. ^_^;

Welp… I’m finally able to comment on this now! Voila~!

http://frk6.edublogs.org/

28. Pingback: Why I Think People Should Visit my Blog – Student Challenge 1 (Late…) | Tyra's Blog

29. Pingback: Why should Teachers Kids and Parents Visit my Blog | Adell's Blog

30. Pingback: Why People Should Visit My blog? | Ashley's Colorful Blog

31. Pingback: Student Blogging Challenge 1 | Jessie's Blog

32. Pingback: *Spanish* | ~*Brittany's awesome blog*~

33. Pingback: Interesting Blogs You Should Visit | Mrs. Martinez's Class Blog

34. Pingback: About Pages | Mrs. Martinez's Class Blog

35. hi Miss W, i am a student from Colombia, and i will really like you to visit my blog and give me advises of how can i improve my blog.
    Thank you!

36. Pingback: Students are Challenged to Blog | Mrs. Martinez's Class Blog

37. Pingback: What, Exactly, Will This Blog Bring to the Vast Blogosphere? 3 Reasons You Should Read My Blog | Diwa Mitchell

38. Hi, I finished challenge 1 and a blog that I enjoyed following and I thought was a good blog. Check it out at http://aidenp2.edublogs.org/ the name is Eat Desert First.

39. A blog I recommend visiting is a girl named Kristen who looks like she has a new blog, and she only has a few posts. But I wish her luck with further blogging. Here is the link to her blog:
    http://studentbloggers.us/blogs/krt08cougar/
    The name of her blog is called ‘Kristen’s Blog’.

40. Pingback: You are lucky to be visiting my blog because… | goldant2010's Blog

41. Pingback: Challenge Yourself to Blog | Information Technology with Mrs. Gorneau

42. Pingback: Why visit blog? | Shyanne's Blog

43. Pingback: My Theme | Zachary's Blog

44. Pingback: Why You Should Visit My Blog | Jayden's Blog

45. Pingback: Our School « Brilliant Bloggers

46. Pingback: Challenge 1 – Why should you visit our Blog? « Brilliant Bloggers

47. Pingback: My Avatar | Zoe's Blog

48. Pingback: Rising to the Challenge | The Ripple Effect

49. Pingback: My about our class blog page is updated. | Youth Class Blog

50. Pingback: Come And Visit My Blog! | Crystal's Fantastic Blog!

51. Pingback: Challenge 1: Why You Should Visit My Blog! :) | ~*Allison's Amazing Blog*~ :)

52. This is blog is kinda interesting to me
    First name Kris, country USA and here’s the URL: http://krisodom.blogspot.com/
    It’s interesting because it has some cool stuffs on the blog

53. Hello! This is Sean from Thailand. I found a student’s blog and the owner’s name was I think Ganga. I think he’s from the US. This is his blog URL: http://205ganga.edublogs.org/ One of his posts is really interesting.

54. Pingback: Challenge 1 | Harrison's Blog

55. Pingback: Why YOU Should Visit My Blog. | Connor's Blog

56. I found a very interesting blog by Benjamin R. He is from the united states of america. His URL is http://lmsblogs.org/benjamin/. I liked his blog because his blog was very well written and if you are interested in history like I am it was very interesting.

• megantech71011
  57. Pingback: Visit My Blog. Now! | Ryan's Blog

58. Pingback: Why you should visit my Blog | Do not enter blog, private property of Morgan

59. I found this blog very interesting, BenjaminR http://lmsblogs.org/benjamin USA 12 Soccer, and Basketball. I found it interestng how they used colors and different themes of writing.

• chloetech71011
  60. Pingback: What’s The S.B.C ? | Kyle's Gamer Lobby

61. Pingback: Post for challange1 in the March 2011 competition | I want to sleep

62. Pingback: Why you should visit my blog | ANIMALZ RULE !!!

63. Pingback: SBC – Challenge 1 & 2 « The Ins & Outs

64. Hi Miss W!
    Sorry to be posting again but,
    I really think that you should visit my blog’s About ME page. I have a very different way of doing it, and I think you’ll like it. PLEASE visit it!
    Thanks,
    Hannah
    http://hannaho-21-hannah.blogspot.com/

65. Hi!
    I visited a girl named Grace’s blog from New Zealand. I thought it was very cute, and her writing was more advanced then most nine year olds I know. I think you should visit her blog:

http://blackfrog101.edublogs.org/

Thanks!
    Hannah

66. Pingback: I know what you’re thinking.* | Marshall, the Insane Squirrel.

67. Pingback: Challenge 1 | Laura's Blog

68. Hi, i would like is you go into my blog. tks

www. irinablog.weebly.com

69. Pingback: Blogging Challenge | ~*Brittany's awesome blog*~

70. Pingback: Why Should You Visit My Blog. | Khanh's Blog

71. Pingback: Reasons to visit my blog! | Blog of Duy

72. Pingback: My Incredibly Cool Blog | Tracy Khuong

73. Pingback: Why I Think You Should Visit My Blog!!!!! | Bree's Brilliant Blog.

74. Pingback: My Portfolio » Why should people visit my blog?

75. Pingback: Challenge 1:Why you should love my blog | Books, Filed Under Love

76. Hi Mrs. W!

I think the Student Blogging Challenge is a geat idea! I only just started the challenge but I have had my blog for about a year now.

All the activities are great fun and I like it how you give a range of activities to choose from.

Rachster 😉

77. Pingback: My super duper cool blog | Weyshin Blog

78. Hi. I just signed up for the challenge. I haven’t yet been added to the list. I look forward to doing all the challenges.
    Bulldog09

79. Pingback: March 2011 Challenge 1 | Mimi's Tiny Blog

80. Pingback: Why You Should Visit | Science Girl Em's Blog

81. Pingback: My Blog – Some Reasons To Visit My Blog! | Gabe's Blog

82. Pingback: Blogging Challenge March 2011 #1 | Live It Out

83. Pingback: Why You Should Visit My Blog | Molly's Wonderful Blog!! :)

84. Pingback: My Blog | Matt's Blog

85. Pingback: Why Should People Visit My Blog? | Kenneth's Blog

86. Pingback: Why Visit My Blog? | Melody's Blog

87. Pingback: About My Blog!!!!!!!!! | The Big Dog

88. Pingback: Hello! | Michael Hartattack

89. Pingback: About Me | Marcos's Blog

90. Pingback: Its Finaly Here… | Fury of life

91. Pingback: The Amazing Blogging Challenge | Out And About

92. Pingback: Blogging Challenge! | Eat Dessert First

93. Pingback: Blogging Challenge starts now :D | I-B-I - U-B-U

94. Pingback: S.B.C. …… Student Blogging Challenge! | SLAPSHOT

95. Pingback: My theme! | A childs point of view

96. One of the best blogs I’ve visited out of the 10 was connect the dots. I thought her posts were fun to read.

97. Hey
    I’ve finished my new theme post

98. HI! My favorite persons blog was MariaPaulaC from Columbia. She had a post on her blog that I think many people can realate to. She talked about Facebook. She informed us on who created it, some of its former names, and the background behind it. Very interesting to read!

• mikaelatech71011
    • Mrs. W,
      By the way I made a page for my challenges instead of a post.
      -Megan

99. Pingback: About Us | 6C Room 002

100. Pingback: Why Come To My Blog? | Kylee's Blog

101. Pingback: Visiting Reasons | Anna's Blog

102. Pingback: Visiting Reasons [Post C1] | mikaela blog

103. Pingback: It’s Student Blogging Challenge Time! | Miss Nichols' Class Communicates

104. Pingback: Digital Nest! » Blog Archive » Moving Right Along….

105. Hi,
    Just wanted to say that this is great I’m learning lots and looking forward to sharing it all with my students.
    Thank you,
    Kim

106. Pingback: Blogging Challenge | Grade 2MK Leopold

107. Pingback: Student Blogging Challenge: Who am I? | Blondes Are People Too! (Formerly El Blog de Mark)

108. Hi,

I finished my new Theme post.

My new theme post.

109. Pingback: Let Us Introduce You to Our School. | Miss T's Classroom.

110. Pingback: What factors affect climate?

111. The blogging is really fun but many challenges, good luck

112. Pingback: Challenge #1 | Miss B's Block

113. Pingback: Spring Blogging Challenge | Climb High!

114. Pingback: Hello world! | Sweet Like Sunshine

115. Pingback: Challenge 1 for March 2011 | Heather's Place for Fairytales :)

116. Pingback: READ THIS POST | Purple Blob

117. Pingback: Some great posts I have written! | MY BLOG!!!!!! (Simone)

118. This is random, but some of my widgets wont work. Is it becuase I have the free version?

• Utau,
      Some widgets don’t work in the free version like Voki but I think you can put it in a post just not in a sidebar.

• I tried, but it keeps on just leaving the little link thing that comes with most of them. I’ve tried one’s off widget box and stuuf and it wont work

• I hope you’ll visit my blog.

• abbyscs15
      • Hi Abby,
        I already visited your blog and left a comment on your ‘About’ page.

119. ok my blog is http://anj1.edublogs.org/ please come to my blog just please post the comment on the newest post my about me is hard to find…

120. Ok… wheer are the others! Are they the same as the one’s from the last challenge? If not, hpw can I get ahead?

121. Pingback: How are weather maps interpreted?

122. This is my challenge 1 post

123. I was checking out some of the other blogs in the challenge as it is said to do above and I came across a brilliant one by Bree from New Zealand; http://breemb4.edublogs.org/. There was so much in it and it was very enjoyable to read!
    Aisling 🙂

124. Pingback: Must Read Posts | Teegan's Terrific Blog!! ©

125. Pingback: And So It Begins… | The Blogging Bunch

126. Pingback: Challenge #1!!! | Fosgreenians Blog

127. Pingback: Student Blogging Challenge #1 | Brandeberry

128. Pingback: Student Blogging Challenge #1

129. Pingback: Post 5: Join the Student Blogging Challenge, Challenge 1 | CMS Tech 7

130. Pingback: Blog Update | Jazzing Up Eighth Grade

131. Pingback: My Top Five “Don’t Miss” Posts | Jazzing Up Eighth Grade

132. volunteered for commenting on childrens blogs – have not been notified which blogs I am to do yet – please let me know thanks

• Hi Claire,
      If you check out the page in the header of this blog ‘Students – March 2011’ and head down to the beginning 11 year olds, you will find your group. I did notify everyone as a reply comment on the post about teachers/educators wanted.