3heads-gear3headschatchecklistglobehead-lockhead-plusimaclife-ringlogo-cornelllogo-melbournelogo-northhamptonlogo-portsmouthlogo-small logo-vancouverlogo-yokohamamail-line mail-wings pdf pie-chartplayplugprinter skype website

Welcome to the first week of activities in the 8th student blogging challenge. As at writing this first post, we have 112 classes, 748 students and 36 mentors taking part in the challenge. We cover the following 22 countries:

• Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA – majority of students and classes from these countries.
  • United Kingdom, Russia, Vietnam, South Korea, Turkey – more than one participant.
  • Netherlands, Hong Kong, Pakistan, Taiwan, South Africa, Colombia, United Arab Emirates, Iran, El Salvador, Bangladesh, Uganda, Malaysia and Indonesia – only one participant or mentor.

Activities will be divided into three sections:

• Blogging – check if you have done these activities before going on to the other sections. It is here where you will learn how to improve your blog.
  • Students – activities for writing posts or adding comments.
  • Teachers – activities for your classes either writing posts or leaving comments.

Let’s get started!!

Blogging

With participants from so many countries coming to your blog, you will need to have a post or page all about yourself – your interests, your favourites, your family and so on. Remember to be internet safe and not mention personal information like your last name, phone number, email, school name. Check out these great examples: Mara, Colton and Reece  A slightly different version from Nolan

If using Edublogs, go to your dashboard> pages>edit sample page or about page. Remember to rename the title. If your blog header doesn’t include pages, then you will also need to go to appearance> widgets> drag  ‘Pages’ into your sidebar.

You will also need to make sure visitors can leave comments on your blog – you might need to create a text widget to explain how to leave a comment. Check out this blog for an example: Image a Day  To know how to cheat and put this info in your sidebar, visit this post from The Edublogger and start at part 6.

If using other blogging platforms, check out the Get Help links on the sidebar of this blog. I have tried to find tutorials for improving blogs for each of the other platforms. If you know a good tutorial site leave a comment on this post and include the link. I will then add it to my sidebar.

Students

1. You might need to re-visit your ‘About’ page and update it for this year.
  2. Otherwise check out some interesting ‘I am’ posts from students in Mrs Kelly’s class. You could write one of these for your blog.
  3. Find your name on the student participant list, check that the link works, then visit at least ten blogs with the same colour as yours and leave comments on one of their posts. Write a post, recommending at least three different blog posts to visit and why you think they are interesting.
  4. Who is your mentor? Check on the student participant list, then go to the mentor registration page and find out about your mentor. Write a post as if you are interviewing your mentor. They might visit in the next couple of weeks and leave some answers for you.

Teachers

1. You might need to re-visit your class  ‘About’ page and update it for this year.
  2. Otherwise check out some interesting ‘I am’ posts from students in Mrs Kelly’s class. You could write one of these for your blog but instead it will be ‘We are’ as a class.
  3. Find your class name on the class participant list, check that the link works, then visit the class on either side of you. Leave a comment on their blog and some of the student blogs if linked on the blogroll.
  4. Write a post posing  some questions to be answered by the visiting classes which might come to your blog.
  5. Check out this post about commenting from Mrs Smith. What type of comments do your students leave?

Everyone:

If you have any great ideas for activities in this challenge, please leave in a comment on this post.

Remember to create a link back to this post if you have completed any of the activities where you are asked to write a post. You might copy and paste this to the bottom of the post: I got the idea for this activity from Student Challenge Blog March 2012

Image: ‘Welcome Piggies

91 Comments

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. Pingback: Challenge 3 / Our World | Well Done!

2. Pingback: A Flowers Petal » Who is my mentor?

3. Pingback: IM DONE » Ashley, I have some questions for you …

4. Pingback: Winning! » My mentor

5. Pingback: Black and White » All about my Mentor

6. Pingback: THE ROYALTY ROW - My Invisible Mentor

7. Pingback: Backflip » The games have begun!

8. Pingback: Black and White » Week 1 Blogging Challenge

9. Pingback: Getting Acquainted

10. I think this challenge is boring

• G’day someone,
      If you think the challenge is boring, could you please give me some suggestions of what I could include to make it less boring?

11. Hi miss W,
    What is the challenge all about anyway?

• G’day Jonathan,
      The challenge is all about improving your blog and making connections with students and classes around the world. Each week I set a series of activities for you to choose from around a certain topic. You write a post about your choice and link back here to the challenge. Other students might then come to visit your blog.

12. Pingback: Juan's Blog - Getting Acquainted

13. Pingback: Blogging Challenge : Portable 35

14. Pingback: Katerin's Blog - Blogs You Should Visit ;D

15. Pingback: Getting aquinated

16. Pingback: Lizbeth's Blog - Recommendations for Blog’s

17. Pingback: Technology Exploration » Blog Archive » Student blogs worth visiting

18. Pingback: I Recammend | Olivia's Blog

19. Pingback: About Me | smi0068

20. •Grade: 7
    •Best Holiday: none
    •Birth Month: march
    •Career Goals:none
    •Favorite Band(s): dont have one
    •Favorite Lolly:none
    •Favourite Food: hot chips with chicken salt
    •Favourite Snack:chips
    •Favorite soft drink: coke
    •Favorite Subject: PE
    •Hobbies/Sports: ripstick
    •Pet Peeve:none
    •Pets: 4 dogs 2 cats
    •Family 3 brothers 1 mum 1 dad

21. We have been having so much fun with the challenges these past two weeks. We made avatars and even made a video of them using aminoto. The kids wrote an All About Me and we wrote a classroom one too.
    Take a look!
    Thanks for having us,
    Mrs. Lucchesi’s Fourth Grade Class
    http://lucchesip.edublogs.org

22. Pingback: About Us | 5VW Beetle Bits and Bytes

23. Pingback: Ilaria's Blog

24. Pingback: Basketball#1

25. Pingback: 3 great blogs:) « cripcrip40

26. Pingback: This Mortal Coil - Student Blogging Challenge

27. Pingback: Blogs to visit « Bloggity Blog Blog Blog :P

28. Pingback: 6th Grade, BFA Fairfax » Blog Archive » Student Blogging Challenge

29. Pingback: Technology Exploration » Blog Archive » Student Blogging Challenge

30. Pingback: Tristan's Blog » Blogs to visit

31. Pingback: I AM : Teegan's Terrific Blog!! ©

32. Pingback: about me | CALL DAYS BEASTLY BLOG

33. Pingback: about me | chewys BEASTLY blog

34. Pingback: About me | matt's blog

35. Pingback: About Me | CJ'S CRIB

36. Pingback: About me | Larnie's Blog

37. Pingback: Year 7 ICT Tuesday March 13th | ejourney with technokids

38. my son started a blog but is not listed on the student list. We are not part of a class. Do we need to do something else to be listed? http://wutsup2day.edublogs.org/

thanks

• G’day Kristen,
      I couldn’t see his name on the student list so could he please re-register and where it asks teacher, he puts in my mum instead.

39. Pingback: Mrs. K's Class » Blog Archive » Blogging Challenge

40. Hi my name is Sophie, from Chilliwack,BC Canada

I have about 20 kids in my class that are doing this challenge should I visit all of their blogs and leave a comment of just visit some?

• Hi Sophie,
      The idea is to first visit other students who are in the same part of the participant list as you are. If a lot of them are from your own class, then visit other students who have similar interests to you or are about your age. You don’t have to leave comments on every blog you visit, just when you find an interesting post.

41. Pingback: Jack's Blog » Student Blogging Challenge #1

42. Pingback: Where I Am From | little moments of

43. Pingback: Mrs. Kelly's Classroom Blog » Challenge 1: Where I’m From- My River

44. Hi Mrs W,
    Thanks for the honour of using my about me post as an example. I think this student blog challenge is going to be great!
    Colton

45. Dear Miss. W,

I updated my About Me Page by changing the photos, words, and added the photo attribution. Thanks for the challenge, it reminded me to update my page.

From,
    Ethan

46. Pingback: Shirley's 6th Grade - I Am – By Samantha

47. Pingback: Shirley's 6th Grade - I am – By Cam

48. Pingback: Shirley's 6th Grade - I am – Raiyaan

49. Pingback: Dawso's Blog » Blog Archive » A little about me!

50. Pingback: Tongariro School Room 7 » All about us!

51. Miss W,
    I’m a little behind when it comes to web 2.0 tools, and your suggestion of a survey or questionnaire for our visitors seems like the perfect opportunity to jump into embedding, but I don’t know which survey or questionnaire tool works best with Edublogs/WordPress. Do you have any suggestions as to what my students could use to embed surveys into their blogs? Keep in mind we are limited by the district as far as what the students can use (I had thought about Google docs Forms, but I think it’s blocked). Thanks!

Mr. M

• G’day Mr M,
      One that I use often is Poll Daddy. Check my squirrel blog where we are asking for students to give a name to the squirrel that is touring down under at the moment. Remember when embedding the code you need to change from visual editor to HTML editor (Tab at top of post dashboard) Or students can embed the HTML code, which they should get from the website where they have created the poll, into a text widget to put on their sidebar.

52. http://sharongarvarenglish9mw.edublogs.org/
    I visited and commented on the classes on either side of me, and I made a post on my site to welcome everyone. I’m not sure if I did the link back to this post correctly. I want to make sure that we are doing this correctly. Can you check it? Thanks so much
    Mrs. Garvar

53. I think a great activity would be to create a Prezi which showcases facts and pictures about your school. Perhaps even upload a video and link it to the Prezi too.

54. Hi Sue,

One suggestion for an activity (really more of a blog maintenance task) is to have students include their class blog as link in their sidebar and make it identifiable ie Our Class Blog: Climb High! It really helps when leaving a comment on a students blog to have a sense of the classroom community too–and can lead to broader connections.

Many thanks for all you are doing,
    Jan

• Great idea Jan. I will add that to the instructions for next week when we also create avatars.

• Gosh, I need to part of this blog maintenance… I don’t know how to create my students own blog and then add them to a blog roll. The facebook moderator sent me a link but I failed…

• tongariroroom7
  55. Hello,
    My group at leasy has some people i know in it!!

56. Miss W,

We should do what we did last time. With the avatars, and that stuff. It was really cool.

Clarissa

57. Pingback: Mr. Martinez' Classroom » Blog Archive » Independent #11: Getting Acquainted

58. Pingback: Mr. Martinez' Classroom » Blog Archive » Independent #10: Getting the SBC Started

59. Pingback: EduBlogs Student Blogging Challenge! » Third Graders, Dreaming Big

60. I have several students who entered in their blog address incorrectly. How do we correct it?

61. Pingback: CMS Tech 7 - Week 1 Challenge: All About Me

62. Hi Miss W,

I am so happy that the challenge has started again! I hope people vote on which picture I should use on my About Me page because I can’t decide which one to use.

From,
    Em

63. Hello,
    maybe we could write a story and take a photo to put on our blog.

MaireadP

64. Pingback: Mr. McCleary's Class Blog | First Blogging Challenge

65. Pingback: Student Blogging Challenge / Week 1: All about me | Well Done!

66. Pingback: Getting Started on Our Blogging Challenge | Kerr's Blog

67. Miss W,
    My group only has 10 people in it, including me.
    Should I just visit all of their blogs?
    Thanks!

• G’day Jake,
      If your mentor is Mrs Smith, then yes she asked for only 10 students. I think they are from a variety of classes and countries though. But visit other students as well if you want.

• Hi Jake,
      I left a comment on your blog. If you are looking to connect with bloggers beyond the 10 in our group, feel free to visit the students in my class by going to the sidebar of our class blog.
      Cheers,
      Ms. Smith