You Sexy ThangEven though this is a week of freedom, I feel we need a post about using images.

Can you use any image on the internet?

No you can’t.

You can use images that are creative commons where the owner has given you permission to use the image as long as you include attribution. Here is a chart about the different licenses for images. There are many websites and search tools on the web for finding images that are creative commons. Some of these give you the attribution in an easy format as well. The one I have found easiest to use is compfight.

If using images from Wikimedia, here is a post about their licensing and what is acceptable by them. Here is their post about using wikimedia commons outside of wikimedia.

If you are administrator on an Edublogs or campus Edublogs platform blog, check out the plugins in your dashboard. Do you have one there called Compfight? If yes then activate it and look at the settings. These are the settings I use.

Once you have activated and checked your settings, the icon next to the word Compfight will now appear in your post dashboard next to the other insert/upload icons. To add a creative commons image to your blog post is now only one click away. You also have attribution  included.

How to add the image and attribution.

• 1. Write your complete post.
  • 2. At the end of your post on a new line, click on the compfight icon.
  • 3. Put in your search term and find a small image that you want to use.
  • 4. Click on the S under the image.
  • 5. Now the image you chose and the attribution is at the bottom of your post.

Moving and aligning your image

You will notice most images I use are in the top right corner of my post with writing to the left of that image. How do I do that?

• 1. Click on the image and drag it so the cursor is at the beginning of the first line on my post.
  • 2. Click on the image and click on the first icon you see. This will take you to an area where you can align the image to the right.
  • 3. Click on the advanced settings tab of this page and put 10 in both the vertical and horizontal boxes. This will now give me a space around the image so my writing doesn’t run right into the image.
  • 4. Now update.

For those who don’t have the compfight plugin

You can still find images easily at the Compfight website.

• 1. Put in your search term.
  • 2. Once the images are shown, on the left sidebar make sure these words are in black – tags only, creative commons, show originals, safe and pop up on
  • 3. Choose an image below the dotted line – these are free and creative commons now
  • 4. Save the small version of the image to your computer – change the filename to something relating to the image instead of the numbers
  • 5. Copy the code in the box
  • 6. Back to your blog post which you have already written – at the bottom on a new line paste in the code using Ctrl V – change the tab from visual to HTML before pasting the code – then change back to visual to add your image.
  • 7. Click at the beginning of the line where you want your image to appear.
  • 8. Use the insert image icon at the top of your post, to find and download the image you have now saved on your computer drive.
  • 9. Once the image has been crunched and downloaded, you can align the image to the right.
  • 10. Click on the advanced settings tab of this page and put 10 in both the vertical and horizontal boxes. This will now give you a space around the image so your writing doesn’t run right into the image. Now update.

If using a blogging platform other than Edublogs, check out the help sites linked below.

Blogger or blogspot or kidblog

Other websites or tools for images, clip art etc

You will need to work out how to get the attribution to put on your posts.

Morguefile – a great post explaining how to use including attribution

Open ClipArt

Flickrcc – Here is a post I have written about using flickrcc

Pics4learning – A post I have written about using this website.

Activities relating to images

• If you have used images in previous posts, go back and give attribution for the images. If they are not creative commons, GNU or fair play, then you will need to take the images out of your posts.
  • Write a post about your passions and find an appropriate image to include. Remember attribution needed.
  • Find a great image and write a post about it.

Activity relating to the number 10

Put together an animoto, slideshow, poster or collage on a theme using 10 images you have found eg Animals at the zoo. Remember to add attribution as an image at the end of the animoto or slideshow. Include attribution with each image on your collage or poster.

Do you have any other great sites for finding images, clipart, music, sounds etc?

Please leave a comment on this post so other readers can share your knowledge.

Creative Commons License Photo Credit: Nick Wheeler via Compfight

74 thoughts on “Challenge 4 – Using images in posts

1. Pingback: Simply Sonnets
  2. Ms. Wyatt I’m sorry I haven’t done this challenge I’ve been awfully busy in the beggining of april

3. Pingback: » Beaches WOW!!
  4. Pingback: Challenge 4
  5. hey everyone 🙂
    i wanted to share a great way for all of you to manage u’r use of images in u’r posts :))
    you can try picmonkey.com for editions and collages . it’s fun , free and easy !
    i hope you like it !
    come see my blog to check my cool collages 😀
    http://arwaseghir.edublogs.org/
    happy blogging .

6. Hello, dear friends!
    We are very happy to take part in Student Blogging Challenge March 2013!
    I am a teacher and I would like to invite guests to my students’ blogs. This time we are not registered as a class, so they work individually. And unfortunately we don’t have the pingback option on kidblog.
    I can say kids are doing their best but forget to write about the tasks they have completed here (on the project main page). That’s why I would like to mention the most interesting posts they have published so far (if you don’t mind).
    Dasha, Julia, Sofia, Paul, Rustam and Alexander shared their impressions of the WRAD 2013 (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/tag/world-read-aloud-day) we marked in our school for kids with special needs (.
    Alexander spoke about an unusual Russian competition which took place not long ago when we celebrated Maslenitsa (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/alexander852114/1236/). He also got creative with ToonDoo (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/alexander852114/my-comics/). Julia taught us to create music playlistswith the help of a web tool (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/julia698597/challenge-3-music/). Tatyana drew a nice painting on artpad (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/tatyana595170/rainbow-mood/). Sofia made a slideshow of her fairy drawings (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/sofia887730/my-fantasy/).
    You can find a discussion about solar batteries on our blog (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/olgak/a-mysterious-thing/) and also some photos demonstrating the Earth Hour in Moscow (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/olgak/i-took-part-in-the-earth-hour/).
    And number 10, of course!!! The most enthusiastic students made their lists of 10 people to meet and 10 jobs to choose.
    We are making all possible efforts. Please check out our blog one day if you have time (kidblog.org/MrsFlowersClass3/).We can’t wait to get your comments.
    Looking forward to cooperation.
    Respectfully yours,
    Mrs. Flower.

1. G’day Morgan,
      I used to use flickrcc blue mountains but now with the compfight plugin, it is so much easier to find an image. Both blue mountains and compfight search flickrcc so they both do the same job. I rarely use Google search even setting it to creative commons because I have found some images were not cc and it is a lot harder to find the original image with the licence attached to it.