This is our last post for the Student Blogging Challenge until we start again in October 2017. I hope you have enjoyed the activities and the chance to make connections with other students and classes around the world.

I would like to thank the mentors for taking time to visit and comment on student blogs. I would also like to thank those students aged 16+ who took on the role of mentors.

We have had a great 10 weeks of blogging. You have learnt so many skills to help you improve your blogs. Many of you have improved those writing skills or maybe digital skills with using a variety of tools to embed on your blog. But it is now time to evaluate your progress as well as the progress of the blogging challenge itself.

This week there are two things to do:

1. Evaluate your own blog
  2. Evaluate the actual blogging challenge

1. This is an audit of your blog since the beginning of March 2017.

• How many posts did you write?
  • How many were school based, your own interests or set by the challenge?
  • How many comments did you receive from classmates, teachers or overseas students?
  • Which post received the most comments? Why do you think that happened?
  • Which post did you enjoy writing the most and why?
  • Did you change blog themes at all and why?
  • How many widgets do you have? Do you think this is too many or not enough?
  • How many overseas students do you have on your blogroll?
  • Which web tools did you use to show creativity on your blog?

Now ask another student and teacher/parent from your school who might not have read your blog to do an audit.

Sit beside them while they navigate around your blog, record what you observe as they interact with your blog. When finished, ask them the following questions:

1. What were your first impressions of this blog?
  2. What captured your attention?
  3. What distracted you on the blog?
  4. What suggestions can you give me to improve my blog?

Write a post about your blog audit.

2. Evaluating the challenge.

This is the eighteenth challenge and sometimes I feel like the activities are getting stale especially for those students who have taken part in more than one set of challenges. So over the next few weeks I will be adding new pages that you all can contribute to. Every month of the year, there are special events, festivals, birthdays of authors etc. Which ones do you think it would be interesting to write about? Find the post ideas page for that month and add your ideas in the comments. (These are found above the header area)

I usually have a form to fill in here but this time I would like you to leave a quality comment giving your opinion of the challenge. You might want to mention some of the following things:

• the most interesting challenge for you
  • how often you visited other blogs and left comments
  • whether you read the challenge flipboard magazine
  • a PMI or plus/minus/interesting point about the challenge
  • the most important thing you learnt while doing the challenge

Thanks again for taking part in this challenge. Hopefully you will take part again in October this year. If you have taken part in at least two sets of challenges, you can also become a mentor, so watch out for the mentor post in late September.

Keep writing, keep reading the magazine, and if you have a great post you would like me to add to the magazine over the summer/winter break, feel free to leave a comment here.

9 thoughts on “Week 10: Farewell from the 18th challenge

1. Dear Mrs. W,
    I really enjoyed the Student Blogging challenge and I had a blast doing that. I think the most interesting one is the free write when we can write any post we like. I thought it was the most interesting because compared to the other challenges the posts that are going to be posted are varied so much because you can write whatever you would like. I think the most important thing I learned was to be careful what you put on the internet because it might haunt you for the rest of your life. Once again I really liked doing the Student Blogging Challange and can’t wait to see what’s there to come.
    From,
    Mina

2. Hi Ms. W,

I thought the challenges where we had to make quality posts of the topic we wanted was fun. I visited blogs once in a while, but I didn’t really leave any comments. I read the Flipboard magazine a bit too. Minus- I didn’t really like that the activities were repeated a bit. I learned to make longer, more interesting posts.

Thank you for making an awesome SBC!

From,
    Skye

3. Ms.W

The most interesting challenge for me was free writing. I normally visit other blogs every week. I read the challenge Flipboard magazine. The PMI is the people that comment on my page. I learned that you have to have good grammar spellings.

hmstyler,

4. Hi Miss W,

The most interesting challenge for me was Footprints. I really enjoyed it because it was interesting to see how dangerous social media can be. I enjoy going to the Flipboard Magazine and reading people’s posts. A plus for the challenges is that it is really fun and cool to watch! A minus is that some people aren’t at the same point as us so. During Game Time, it was hard to find people that had blogrolls. An interesting point is all of the challenges. They teach us new things while having fun! The most importing thing that I have learned is giving correct attribution!

Sincerely,
    Raya