March 2010: Challenge 2

Last challenge everyone introduced themselves or their blog to their readers. Because we very rarely meet face to face (f2f), we still have to give some visual cues as to what we look like.  But as teachers, we have to make sure you are being internet safe and that usually means not putting any pictures of actual students on the web, and if we do, having parental permission to do so. We certainly don’t name the students in the pictures.

So instead of a real picture we create an avatar. For example, here are some avatars I have made from various websites.  They all represent me.

So now it is time for you to create your own avatar. You can then add it as a blog avatar to appear on your blog. You can also add it as a comment or user avatar so it appears wherever you leave a comment on someone else’s blog. Some websites are for students 13 and older so make sure you choose one that is for your age group.

Any age can use these avatar sites:

From abi-station:

If under 13, sorry you can’t register for these mentioned below. But over 13, need parental or guardian permission.

14 or older with parental permission

Beginner:

Create your avatar using one of the above websites. Sue Waters from ‘The Edublogger‘ has written a great post about avatars, giving instructions on how to save them and then upload to an ‘Edublogs’ blog. Many of the sites mentioned above are included in her post. If using Blogger, here is a link to show how to add a photo to your profile.

Veteran:

If you have taken part in a blogging challenge before, you might have realised that your comment avatar doesn’t always show up on all blogs.  I know I have been annoyed about that, so here is a post explaining where you can upload your avatar so it is recognised globally on all blog platforms. You might want to change your blog or comment avatar and try a different website especially if you are now 13 or older.

In a post, please answer this question: When do you think it is appropriate for students to use real photos of themselves on their blogs and why? See if you can research this on the net and find responses from other educators. Remember to link to their post if you use information they mentioned. Hyperlink as well to this challenge post, so I can read your answers.

PS: Within 6 hours of posting this challenge, Andrea has already written her opinion.

Commenter:

If you are a user on any class blog, you should be able to upload your own user avatar as well.  Leave a comment here telling me why you chose this avatar to represent you.

Class:

After creating avatars for all the students in your class, show them off in some form of slideshow on your class blog. Here are some avatars from Mrs Yollis’ class they made last year.  I created one using animoto last year. Perhaps you could leave a comment here with a link to a website that other classes could use for a slideshow or movie.

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.

78 thoughts on “March 2010: Challenge 2

1. Pingback: Photos=Blogging=Students????? | talonsandrea's Blog

2. Pingback: Appropriate? | The Zombie

3. Re: Edublog Challenge #2.
    My class created their avatars today and had a blast doing so. The site we used was Moeruavatar which was really simple for them to use. I then uploaded them on to our blog using PhotoPeach, another very simple online program.
    Thanks, Kym :)

4. Re Photo privacy Whilst I totally I agree with you regarding privacy, teaching younger children to use Web technology is important and they enjoy seeing photos of themselves, as it is all about them. It also provides a conversation starter for their families as often they “forget” what has happened that day. What more motivation and purpose for children to know their work and images will be posted on the web. Further up the school children are taught about internet privacy and how to be net safe.

We are allowed to post photos with names on our blog with the support of our very tech savvy Principal and informed community. Perhaps this is the community we live in, which I am grateful for. But I completely understand with other school’s policies of internet privacy.

5. Pingback: Less Filtering, More Involvement | TechIntersect

6. My year 2′s had lots of fun creating their avatars. We used http://www.buildyourwildself.com which is a really easy site to use. They learnt how to save the picture into their own folders and then we uploaded them into smilebox to create our slideshow. The children had fun deciding which theme to choose and the music we would use.
    Wendy Randall
    2R Shiningstars

7. Pingback: Challenge 2 | .:110|GS:.

8. Pingback: Best Time To Put Pictures Of Yourself On The Internet | *Cleopatra'$ = Luvin Life*

9. Pingback: Pictures on Internet of Students? | Lojo's Blog

10. Pingback: Real Pictures….Of Me!?(A Little Too Personal!) | MushaBelly's World

11. Pingback: When and why should students use there picture instead of Avatars | Fresco's World

12. Pingback: ≈≈Edublogs Challenge# 2≈≈ | Purplishes Definishes

13. Pingback: Photos of Yourself | Gloria's Blog

14. Pingback: Age-Pictures-Blog? | The Hot Spot

15. Pingback: Switching to a picture of yourself from an avatar | Xerxes Loves Life!!!!!!

16. Pingback: Showing yourself to the internet. | Star Struck

17. Pingback: Challenge 2 | My blog!!!

18. Pingback: Allowing Photos On Blogs? | Im'a Monster

19. Pingback: Challenge Two | Cassandra's Blog

20. Pingback: Would You Put Your Picture Online ? | Star Writer

21. Pingback: When do you think???? | My Desi Blog

22. Pingback: Blog Challenge – Week Two | Publishing Corner

23. Pingback: The second Q | The World Tour of Danmark

24. Pingback: Old Enough For A Picture??? Or An Avatar??? | =o-]-<Juno's World!!!

25. Pingback: Responsible Picture Posting | Jelly Belly

26. Pingback: Could you,Would you put a picture of you in the internet | Did You Know

27. Pingback: Blogging and Photo’s? Are they a good mix? | Matthew's Blog

28. Pingback: Pictures!!! | Em's Blog!!!

29. Pingback: Avatars 2010 | Miss T's Classroom.

30. Pingback: My Wild Self | Science Girl Em's Blog

31. Pingback: Blog Challenge Question #2 – Avatars | Room 162

32. Pingback: Avatars Away! | Room 17 - Blogs Away!

33. Pingback: Picture Perfect | Operation B.L.O.G

34. Pingback: When it is Safe to use your Personal Pictures? | Ariel's Blog!

35. Pingback: Challenge 2! | **Cheyenne** <3

36. Pingback: Avatars | Publishing Corner

37. Pingback: Student Challenge #2- Should You Post a Picture of Yourself Online? | Jazzing Up Seventh Grade

38. Pingback: Would you put your picture on the Internet? | Star Girl

39. Pingback: Student Blogging Class Challenge #2 | Miss Nichols' Class Communicates

40. I would just like to inform you that Zwinky is a site that downloads trojans to your computer. SmileyCentral, SmileyMania, CursorMania, and similar sites are all viral sites. Last year, we had several kids download them and we had lots of viruses on each computer. The tech staff was super busy for a week or two, trying to fix the issue. Just hoping to help.
    ~Laurenc604 :)

41. Pingback: And onto the next one … | The Ripple Effect

42. Pingback: Challenge 2: When should you use a real photo of yourself? | Kira's Kafe

43. Pingback: What up dawg?» Blog Archive » Student Challenge #2

44. Pingback: When is it a good idea to use a picture of yourself? | Gamer's Spot

45. Pingback: Challenge Yourself to Blog No. 2 | ~ Grade 3/4 Spring Gully PS 2010 ~

46. Pingback: When should you use a photo of yourself on your blog? | Angel's Café

47. Pingback: Blogging Challenge #2 | What's The Word?

48. Pingback: Challenge 2 | Ashley's Awsome Blog!

49. Pingback: challenge 2!!:) | Matthew's Blog

50. Pingback: Challenge Two | Megan's Blog

51. Pingback: Why We Use Avatars! | The Food Lover

52. Pingback: What’s With The Avatars? | The Food Court

53. Pingback: Picture This | Gamer's Tips

54. Pingback: Challenge 2 | The Rocking P Blog

55. Pingback: Challenge 2 | The Blog That Changes Everything

56. Pingback: CALLENGE 2 | Brooke's Blog

57. Pingback: challenge 2 | Reece's blog

58. Pingback: Blogging Challenge #2 – My New Avatar | Jonah's Adventures in Homeschooling

59. Pingback: My Own Little World | Walking on Sunshine

60. Pingback: Here comes another challenge! | Court Side Sports

61. Pingback: Reasons 2 Use Avatars! | The Rollercoaster

62. Pingback: Challenge 2 | Bri's Blog!

63. Pingback: Avatar (Challenge two!!) | Sound System

64. Pingback: Challenge 2 | Kyle Likes Hockey

65. Pingback: Challenge 2 | Kayli :P<3 crazy;; crazy

66. Pingback: Photos | Skateboarding

67. Pingback: Blogging Avatars | Animal Land

68. Pingback: Avatars | Randomly Awesome

69. Pingback: Hey Want Something To Read? | Little bit of this and a little bit of that

70. Pingback: About Avatars | Technasia

71. Pingback: Why I think avatars are good for blogging! | The Penalty box

72. Pingback: Challenge 2 | Megan's Blog

73. Pingback: Thursday 9/15 in class : Head Outta the Book