Week 10: Farewell from the 19th challenge

Swallow-tailed Kite

Creative Commons License Andy Morffew via Compfight

This is our last post for the Student Blogging Challenge until we start again in March 2018. I hope you have enjoyed the activities and the chance to make connections with other students and classes around the world.

I would like to thank the mentors for taking time to visit and comment on student blogs. I would also like to thank those students aged 16+ who took on the role of mentors.

I would also like to thank those bloggers who allowed me to use their blog posts as part of the visiting challenge.

We have had a great 10 weeks of blogging. You have learnt so many skills to help you improve your blogs. Many of you have improved those writing skills or maybe digital skills with using a variety of tools to embed on your blog. But it is now time to evaluate your progress as well as the progress of the blogging challenge itself.

This week there are two things to do:

1. Evaluate your own blog
  2. Evaluate the actual blogging challenge

1. This is an audit of your blog since the beginning of October 2017.

• How many posts did you write?
  • How many were school based, your own interests or set by the challenge?
  • How many comments did you receive from classmates, teachers or overseas students?
  • Which post received the most comments? Why do you think that happened?
  • Which post did you enjoy writing the most and why?
  • Did you change blog themes at all and why?
  • How many widgets do you have? Do you think this is too many or not enough?
  • How many overseas students do you have on your blogroll?
  • Which web tools did you use to show creativity on your blog?

Now ask another student and teacher/parent from your school who might not have read your blog to do an audit.

Sit beside them while they navigate around your blog, record what you observe as they interact with your blog. When finished, ask them the following questions:

1. What were your first impressions of this blog?
  2. What captured your attention?
  3. What distracted you on the blog?
  4. What suggestions can you give me to improve my blog?

Write a post about your blog audit.

2. Evaluating the challenge.

This is the nineteenth challenge and sometimes I feel like the activities are getting stale especially for those students who have taken part in more than one set of challenges. So there is a new page that you all can contribute to. Every month of the year, there are special events, festivals, birthdays of authors etc. Which ones do you think it would be interesting to write about? Find the post ideas page and add your ideas in the comments. (These are found above the header area)

I would like you to leave a quality comment giving your opinion of the challenge. You might want to mention some of the following things:

• the most interesting challenge for you
  • how often you visited other blogs and left comments
  • whether you read the challenge flipboard magazine
  • a PMI or plus/minus/interesting point about the challenge
  • the most important thing you learnt while doing the challenge

Thanks again for taking part in this challenge. Hopefully you will take part again in March next year. If you have taken part in at least two sets of challenges, you can also become a mentor, so watch out for the mentor post in late February.

Keep writing, keep reading the magazine, and if you have a great post you would like me to add to the magazine over the summer/winter break, feel free to leave a comment here.

14 thoughts on “Week 10: Farewell from the 19th challenge

1. How often have you visited others blogs?
    Probably every other week or every week.

The most important thing I learned is that a lot of people like football, and are very different.

2. This is a response to your blogging challenge questions:

One of the questions asked what the most interesting challenge for me was. For me, the most interesting challenge was the third challenge. I loved taking a random photo and making it into a story. It left so much wiggle room and gave a great start. I visited other blogs and left comments quite often. I didn’t always considering I spent quite a bit of time writing my stories for my blog, but I enjoy traveling to other blogs and see their interests and talents. In a way, it’s like learning all about someone you’ve never met. I have a blog myself and as I’ve stated it’s mostly for writing stories. You can find it here http://afascinatingblogbysofia.edublogs.org/
    Thank you for your time.
    Sincerely,
    Sofia

3. The most interesting Challenge for me was the picture story post. I had to really find the right picture for the post. I visited other peoples blogs at least 3 times a week to see what people from my blog roll have posted.

4. I think the most interesting challenge was the puzzle and it was fun to make. I think the most important thing that I learned during the challenge is managing a blog.

5. I have really enjoyed doing this blogging challenge and all the input people have put in on my blog. My favorite challenge was the puzzle challenge because it is interactive and it really makes you think of a quality picture that you can get that is labeled for reuse. In my whole time here I have been to about 30 different blogs and have enjoyed every single one of them .
    Come check out my blog! http://afascinatingblogbyowen.edublogs.org/

6. So the Student Blogging Challenge is coming to an end…

But still got challenges to do so here a my answer to some of the questions you asked:

How often you visited other blogs and left comments?

I visited blogs frequently and it was nice to see what other people’s lives where like.

Whether you read the challenge flipboard magazine?

I read it a couple times and some of the blogs that I visited came from there.

7. The most interesting challenge was when I had to make the three part story, it was fun but hard. I visit other blogs and left comments about 3 times a week for different types of posts, or different assignments.

8. Hello, my name is Rafael. The most interesting challenge was when we did the puzzle and picture sentence. This is a good way for people to see other people. I haven’t checked the flipboard magazine yet.

9. I visited other blogs very week to know what was going on in other parts of the world, like a flood.
    The most important thing I learnt while doing the challenge was that all the blogs show the blogger’s personality and characteristics. Just like how the avatars show what one may look like.
    -Brooke at http://afascinatingblogbybrooke.edublogs.org/

10. Hi Sue,

19th Challenge? Wow! Congratulations to you.

Having watched you run the challenge closely this year I can see what an enormous effort it is to co-ordinate, and what enormous rewards it provides the students.

Well done to all the teachers and students who took part this year. We hope many of them will be back in March for another round!

Keep blogging, everyone!
    Kathleen Morris

11. My mentor has never commented on my blog and I have hardly any visitors and comments. My mentor is Angelica from New York for the 13 year olds. I also haven’t been able to take part in week 6 – 8 challenges. It is sad to see the challenge leave. I have had fun and will take part in the March Challenge. I will also be adding more post soon. Please check out my blog at http://emmatheweathergirl.edublogs.org/