Over the last couple of weeks you have been looking at what makes a great post. This week we are expanding that to

What makes a great blog?

Naturally, a great blog will include great posts but what else will there be?

Maybe you will also need to look at

• the layout of the blog
  • background design
  • sidebars
  • widgets
  • header

A person might write excellent posts, but then have widgets on the left sidebar that overlap on the writing. There might be loud music playing as soon as you open the blog. There might be a noisy pet chirping away in the background while you are trying to read a post. There might be snow falling all over the blog distracting you from the posts. You might not be able to read comments because of the background colours.

This year is the 11th anniversary of the Edublog Awards.

You are being invited to take part in the awards by nominating great student blogs and great class blogs. Here are lists of the blogs from last year for students and classes. In my opinion, being nominated is just as important as winning one of these awards. Not all nominations go forward to the final list.

How to find some great blogs?

• Check out the flipboard magazine
  • Read lots of other student or class blogs

In order for your nomination to count, you MUST do the following.

1. Write a post on your blog nominating one blog.
  2. Give reasons for the nomination, why you think it is a great blog.
  3. You cannot nominate your own blog.
  4. In your post, include a link to the blog of the person you are nominating.
  5. When you have published your post come back here to fill in the form below.
  6. Your nomination will not count, unless you fill in the form below.

You may only nominate one blog for each category.

There will be other categories to nominate in later in the year when the actual awards are publicised.

10 thoughts on “Week 10 Part A Great blogs

1. Hello! I would appreciate it if you could check out my blog, but wait until Monday… as my teacher will most likely have aproved my post about flaws by that time.
    Thank You!

-JENNY

2. Hello Miss W.,

This challenge was probably one of the hardest ones for me; I found it impossible to nominate just one blog, and my daughter, Kat, also had a hard time choosing only one. Instead, Kat and I decided to write a post together about a few of the student blogs we like.

Also, for fun, we thought it would be cool to make an “Awesomeness Blog Award” for the bloggers we mention, as well as one for anyone else who visits our class blog and would like one.

We are curious to hear what you think about it. 🙂

Participating in the challenge has been a wonderful experience for us; we have learned quite a bit about so many new things.

Thank you,
    Ms. Mara

3. Hello Miss W.
    I have multiple subjects to discuss. First off, I think I did well on this week’s post on nominations; it wasn’t as simple as just a post where I talked about my favorite blog. If you would like, please check it out here.

I would also like to know one thing about nominations. For the part where we have to fill in our first name, do we have to fill in our first name or the first name of the owner of the blog we are nominating?

Hopefully this whole comment doesn’t appear as a link; there is about a 50% chance it will.

Sincerely,
    Elijah