Monopoly Night 2010

Creative Commons License Jono Martin via Compfight

Once you have finished your work at school, you can often go and play with something in the room.

But let’s also think about people with unusual jobs – what did they do for play or relaxation?

I think about my great great grandfather who was a whaling captain in the 1870’s. He was stuck on a boat with thirty other men, maybe his wife and a child was also on board. What sort of things did the sailors do for relaxation out in the middle of the ocean?

Here in Australia we are thinking about the soldiers of the Great War – World War 1. If they weren’t fighting in the trenches or charging across the open ground, what could they do for relaxation? If they had been injured and were recuperating in a hospital tent, what could they be doing?

Activities to choose from:

1. Research board games – when, where and why were they invented?

2. Create a new game for someone to de-stress from their lifestyle.

3. Your family are stranded on a deserted island, with nothing but your clothes. How will you entertain yourselves?

4. Research ball games around the world – find out the rules and then try playing something similar at school or home. How did it go?

5. Find out the ways soldiers and sea captains used to relax over 100 years ago.

6. The electricity grid went out in your country. What would change in your lifestyle? How would you relax?

7. Survey class members about games they have at home. Are you going to include computer games? Create some interesting graphs about results.

8. Find an image that has a relaxing feel to it. Write a poem remembering to give attribution correctly.

Make sure you are ready for our game in a week or so.  To take part in this game, all classes and students will need the following:

•  a user avatar if possible
  • an ‘about me’ PAGE if using Edublogs or a post if using other platforms
  • a clustrmap or flag counter widget – if your clustrmap is greyed out, check my post here to fix it if using Edublogs widget
  • at least four interesting posts – could be topics of your choice not necessarily from the challenge
  • your ‘Recent Comments’ widget on the sidebar with 10 comments as the choice – Edublogs
  • your ‘Recent Posts’ widget on the sidebar with 10 posts as the choice – Edublogs
  • Your ‘Pages’ widget on the sidebar or pages in the header – Edublogs
  • at least 10 student and/or classes linked on your blogroll
  • at least three overseas blogs on your blogroll
  • posts tagged or categorized to make it easier to find interesting posts on each blog
  • the more students or classes you have linked on your blog, the more fun the game will be

The most important of these are the links to other student blogs on your sidebar. Try to have a couple of different headings like

• My Friends
  • Class Blogs
  • Overseas Blogs

Having lots of  links to student blogs from other countries will help spread the game.

Check out Kendall’s right sidebar – she has a list called Blogroll which are her classmates but she also has a list called Blogging Challenge and these are other blogs she visits regularly

Olivia, who has taken part in the challenges over three years, has some great lists of links on her blog – blogroll, class blogs, family and friends, my followers. She also has links to classmates in blogroll in the header of her blog.

Still have time left this week:

Then keep visiting other student blogs and leave great comments including your blog URL. Find some interesting bloggers then add them to your sidebar links. Write some posts about great blogs you have visited, include a link to that blog in your post.

Read the flipboard magazine to visit bloggers who are writing great posts and are then leaving comments on Miss W’s challenge posts. Students with Edublogs free blogs can’t have posts flipped into the magazine, so they are being mentioned on each week’s posts instead.

Check out these blogs

Clara has only just joined the challenge – check out the background, header image and title (all related to what Clara enjoys). She also has some great posts but unfortunately they can’t be flipped into our magazine.

The young students from Grand Atlas blog in Algeria have been visiting lots of other blogs and they would like you to visit them. They have left some great comments on many other blogs around the world.

Mr Helpern’s class have a category for each student – check out their great posts by clicking on their name.

28 thoughts on “Week 6: Let’s work then play

1. Dear Miss W,
    Yes, I do realize that this is from last weeks, but last week our school was on Spring Break so I just wanted to catch up. I have done Activity 8 and really enjoyed it. Please come visit the post here.
    Thanks,
    Maeve

2. Hi Mrs. W,
    This week I did activities 1,2, and 5.
    You can visit my blog at http://blogs.csdvt.org/jenniferm/
    Although, I would like to let you know something. You might have noticed a lot of kids not doing the activities this week. That’s because my class and any class that has the same break system as us if not in school rigth now because we didn’t have “Easter break” when other kids did.I did this weeks activities on my own time but other kids won’t have done anything.
    From,
    Jennifer ♥

1. Thanks for the information about the break some schools are having. That is one of the challenges when running something like this – different states in many countries have different breaks at different times.

3. Hello Miss W, our class did two of the activities. We did number 5 and 7. We enjoyed learning the information about what games the soldiers played.

1. Sam,
      I would love to check out your class posts, but I don’t know the URL of your blog. Remember to leave that when you write a comment.

4. Miss W., I have done everything for the game that we will do next week. What kind of game will it be like, and why we need to add all of the wigits to our sidebar to play the game? Im exited for the game and hope that It will be fun!
    Thanks,
    Scotty http://j4ah15.edublogs.org

5. Hello Mrs. W!

It’s been awhile since our last challenge. Though I’m glad we’re back at it! 😉 This week I completed the 8th activity. Choosing an image with a relaxing feel and writing a poem about it. I hope you have time to come check out my post!  http://jazzy2am.edublogs.org/2015/04/22/the-first-glimpse-of-light/

Thanks!

~Jazzy 😀

6. Hi Miss W,
    This is Erica. I have finished activity #1 for the post this week and I wrote about one of my favorite games, Candy Land! It would be awesome if you could visit my blog and read my post at: http://ericadle.edublogs.org/

Bye,
    Erica 🙂

7. Dear Ms. W,

My students are EXTREMELY busy preparing for their annual Poetry Cafe on May 1, where they will be performing their own poems as well as favorites from others. We will opt out of playing the game next week. I hope this will not badly affect their overall participation, but I wanted to let you, and everyone, know.
    CLASS BLOG: words work.edublogs.org

Thanks.

8. Dear Ms. W,
    Thank you for mentioning me on the post. What is the game? I would like to participate in it and I have met all the requirements to play. I have finished a challenge post. You can see it here. Thanks again for mentioning me.

Sincerely, Clara

9. Hello, Miss W-

My students are receiving bundles of comments from students around the globe, which is awesome! However, so many student bloggers are forgetting to leave their blog URL when they comment, which makes it really difficult to keep the conversation going. Would you be so kind as to remind participants to leave their blog URL–or at least their teacher’s name–so we can come visit and comment.

Thanks so much! By the way, I so appreciate you commenting on many of my student’s blogs. They are thrilled every time they open their blogs to find new comments.

Cheers,
    Mrs. Rombach
    http://mrsrombachreads.edublogs.org

10. Dear Ms Wyatt,

I hope you are not too tired from co-ordinating this huge project that is the Student Blogging Challenge. I find visiting the students I mentor very interesting but it also takes a bit of time, so I can only imagine how busy you must be.

I think I have 27 students…less than thirty anyhow. I sent them a comment on the 6th April and again to a number of them on the 8th (this time about getting their Clustr Maps back using your clear instructions).

I sent another message today as I supposed up to this many of them were on Spring Break or the equivalent. Of the 27 only three are replying: Kendall, Penelope (Nelly) and Lucas.

I suppose that the students and their teachers are very busy getting back after Spring Break and that perhaps they will give the Student Blogging Challenge some time next week.

I find that in a number of cases, great work is going on, on the blog but it is school work not a response to the Student Blogging Challenge.

In some cases the comments I left have not been moderated and in others my comments are visible but are never responded to.

I suppose my concern would be that there might be some students who are working hard at their Student Blogging Challenge with no mentor.

I know that the re assigning of mentors that you did at Easter will have helped, but I wonder if by next week some of the blogs I visit remain dormant, that I might go visiting blogs that have no mentors.

I will be guided by your advice.

Thank you for your patience.

With every good wish,

Merry Beau

1. Merry- thank you for your comment. Very insightful. My son is one of the interested but un-mentored since Day 1. I have done my best to support him and encourage continued involvement, but it is hard/disappointing given he has no mentor. Thank you!!!

2. G’day Merry Beau,
      Please visit any blogs you would like to, especially if you see students participating who still have no mentor. I might need to do something different regarding mentors at the next set of challenges. This is the least number of mentors who have registered since beginning with mentors a few years ago.

1. Thank you for your advice Ms. W.,
        I will certainly do that.
        With every good wish,
        Merry Beau